The Purpose of this Blog

The goal of this blog is to provide education and bring about higher awareness about Down syndrome. It is to share that life with Down syndrome (DS) is not scary, horrible, or to be feared.

My experience comes from raising my daughter, Nebraska Larae (Braska), born November 2006 with Down syndrome.
The posts on this blog are related in some way to life with DS or disability, and they are reposted here from my other family blogs. There are links to those blogs in the margin on the right side of this blog if you would like to visit them directly.

Thank you for coming by.

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Mouse races

Last night it was out on the town for me. I was invited to go to a mouse race fundraiser by Adrienne. She's the leader of our local DS group in St. Charles County and I knew of her on DownSyn actually even before we moved here. So last night I met her for the first time, and then met her four friends who also came to the event. And all these fine ladies have kids with DS. Handy, eh? And I was the youngest....that's a new position for me, for sure.

This is Carolyn, Becky, Allison, Adrienne, and Jane. (Not sure of spellings...sorry if I got any wrong!) Pardon the grainy pics, Motorola Q--not the best camera, but not a bad PDA phone.


The event was to benefit a family, specifically two young boys whose very young dad died suddenly two days after the youngest was born. This is that one...Anthony, named after his dad. He has DS too! He's 8 months old and A.D.O.R.A.B.L.E.


The fundraiser was to benefit the education fund for these two boys. There were appetizers, drinks, a silent auction for sports memorabilia, and raffles for a variety of prize baskets. I really hooped it up, and got a PITCHER of Diet Coke. Yep, that's right. Watch out world.


And here's the mouse race part.... (I'd never heard of such a thing prior to this. But apparently it's a "thing" around here. Must be like toasted ravioli.) There's a guy in some goofy get-up that's kind of being the mouse DJ or something for the night. There's a mouse roulette wheel on one side, no pic of that, where the mouse runs around and where he stops, that person wins. Yeah, I didn't go for that one. But the main event was the 6-round mouse races. The mice start down on the left by the numbers, then they turn the gate and some run and some just sit. It's pretty silly.


They run 6 races, then the winners of the 6 run the 7th for the big winner. People bet on the mice, who of course have names of all varieties. In the 5th race, I chose Speedy. That's him #1. And that's the mouse DJ guy striking a pose.


And there he goes, Speedy wins!


This was my proof of my bet. I had Speedy in lane 1 for race 5. I ended up winning 5 out of the 5 races I bet on. Pretty silly. Unfortunately they marked my slip wrong on race 6, but oh well. I don't know how much money I won, since I just let it all go to the fund.


It was an interesting evening. Not the most fun ever, but it was nice to get out. I still can't quite understand how this kind of an event can be such a big deal around here, though.

No comments: