The Purpose of this Blog

The goal of this blog is to provide education and bring about higher awareness about Down syndrome. It is to share that life with Down syndrome (DS) is not scary, horrible, or to be feared.

My experience comes from raising my daughter, Nebraska Larae (Braska), born November 2006 with Down syndrome.
The posts on this blog are related in some way to life with DS or disability, and they are reposted here from my other family blogs. There are links to those blogs in the margin on the right side of this blog if you would like to visit them directly.

Thank you for coming by.

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Electronic Alphabet, Number, and Color Flashcards

I've been working on a PowerPoint for Braska, kind of like electronic flashcards, since she LOVES the computer so much. It's the alphabet, numbers 1 through 10, and colors. She is really blowing me away. The *first* time I showed it to her she got F - J and O-T right in the alphabet. Like me showing her and not prompting her verbally. Unbelievable. Sesame Street WORKS! Ha! She also did 2 through 10 the same way. I almost fell out of my chair! I'm trying to get video of it for proof. We go over them at least 3 or 4 times a day, and she requests it by coming up and telling me "Numbers!" when she wants to do it again. She just continues to amaze me! Braska just loves it. We're working on her controlling the mouse touch pad. She does well, but she gets distracted and just wants to make the pictures go and not practice her letters and numbers, so for now, it's a joint effort, which is fine with me.

Click here to view the "Flashcards". Note that there is a full-screen option in the lower right corner of the viewer.

Please let me know if there are any problems.

No comments: