The Purpose of this Blog

The goal of this blog is to provide education and bring about higher awareness about Down syndrome. It is to share that life with Down syndrome (DS) is not scary, horrible, or to be feared.

My experience comes from raising my daughter, Nebraska Larae (Braska), born November 2006 with Down syndrome.
The posts on this blog are related in some way to life with DS or disability, and they are reposted here from my other family blogs. There are links to those blogs in the margin on the right side of this blog if you would like to visit them directly.

Thank you for coming by.

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Heartbreaker

Tonight we went to dinner with some friends. As we were waiting for them to arrive, one of the waitresses passing through the entry area stopped and talked to Braska, going on about how pretty she is (to which Braska signed "pretty" of course, compounding her cuteness). Then a few minutes later, she came back, this time with another waitress, to show her "just how pretty" this little girl was. She kind of patted her and acted like she just wanted to cuddle her, and she said, "She's sure going to be a heartbreaker one day." We agreed with her as we smiled.

Earlier this week, a woman came across the parking lot at Aldi while I was putting things in the trunk and talked to her, saying she'd seen her in the store but hadn't been able to catch up with us. She walked over a full aisle out of the way to her car to come say hello, ask her age, and comment on how well behaved she was in the store line. I thought that was nice.

We have been so fortunate in that people have always been so wonderful when we're in public. There are stories of those who have just plain ridiculous and rude things said to them about their children with DS. I always wonder what I'd say in similar situations, and who knows how it would go. But I am grateful that to this point, we've had only good experiences. People come up to use in every place we go. It's become a game to guess and then count how many people will approach us at Wal-Mart or the grocery store. All ages, men and women, lots of kids. I'm often amazed at how bold they can be. Not inappropriately, in my book, just seemingly enamored by this little girl with pigtails and glasses. She's generally kicking and dancing in the shopping cart, because she just LOVES being in one. I can see how she would garner some attention. I'm just glad that those who would say dumb or unpleasant things have not done so within earshot.

As far as I can remember right now, only one of these encounters has been with someone who had a child or relative with DS. The rest were just people commenting on her glasses or being cute or behaving in various situations. (She is really unbelievably good in public situations. We're blessed!!) I realize it may not always be this way, but for now, we are so grateful to be able to make alot of people smile. And I have found that I enjoy mentioning, when it comes up, that she has Down syndrome. At that point, no one has said, "I'm sorry." No one has put on a sad face. They just smile and say, "Really??" with surprise. I love to see a new bit of perspective come to so many faces. Like their 3 minutes of waving and talking to Braska has somehow imprinted a new realization or possibility in their minds. And THAT is worth everything.

No comments: