The Purpose of this Blog

The goal of this blog is to provide education and bring about higher awareness about Down syndrome. It is to share that life with Down syndrome (DS) is not scary, horrible, or to be feared.

My experience comes from raising my daughter, Nebraska Larae (Braska), born November 2006 with Down syndrome.
The posts on this blog are related in some way to life with DS or disability, and they are reposted here from my other family blogs. There are links to those blogs in the margin on the right side of this blog if you would like to visit them directly.

Thank you for coming by.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Me ‘n Jack: New teachers, new room, new friends [Down syndrome, preschool]

Today was the first day of school!  I didn’t get to stay the whole time since I’m not all the way better from surgee yet, but I had a lot of fun while I was there!
 
Me and Jack decided to wear our shirts that he got for us on his trip a few weeks ago.  He came to my house before school so we could take some pictures.
 
“Good morning.”


Braska: “We’re not going in the house. Pictures are outside today. You ready?”


Braska: “Come over here, and we’ll let KiKi in the picture with us.”
Jack: “What if I want to just stand here?”


Girls: “Is he going to sit down?” “I don’t know.” “Does my hair look ok?”


Braska: “What if we kind of sit like this?  It’s what the cool kids do.”


Jack: “Ok, I’m here. What now?”
Girls: “Just wait for Mommy to take the pictures. Do your hands like this.”


Jack: “You want cheese? I’ll give you cheese!”
Braska: “Don’t look now but he is being goofy again. No! Don’t look!”
KiKi: “He’s still pretty cute, though.”


Then we took some more pictures in the hall by our classrooms.  We’re not in the same class this year.  I don’t really like that, but at least he’s right next door.  It was really weird to go to meet new friends without Jack.

”Are we done yet?  It’s almost time for school!”


”Please, God, help me make some fun friends in there.”


”Here’s the plan… if you miss me, just knock on the wall three times and we’ll meet in the hallway.”


”I like my cubby, but seriously… why can’t Jack be in my class with me? Where is he?”


Me and Jack both had good days at school.  Tomorrow I get to stay the whole time because there’s only 3 kids on my small class days.  Then next week I get to go regular all the time!  I like my new teachers and I think my new friends are really nice too.
 
While Kinlee was waiting for me to get done at school, she played on the pirate ship.

 

She went around and around and around and kept going down the slide.


Then she found some great big balls. Almost big as her!


Here’s some little movie of Kinlee playing.  (Grandmas like these kinds of movies.)

YAY for school!!!

No comments: