The Purpose of this Blog

The goal of this blog is to provide education and bring about higher awareness about Down syndrome. It is to share that life with Down syndrome (DS) is not scary, horrible, or to be feared.

My experience comes from raising my daughter, Nebraska Larae (Braska), born November 2006 with Down syndrome.
The posts on this blog are related in some way to life with DS or disability, and they are reposted here from my other family blogs. There are links to those blogs in the margin on the right side of this blog if you would like to visit them directly.

Thank you for coming by.

Monday, January 5, 2009

Pre-preschool dropoff:Day 1

Today Braska went to "school" for the first time. It's called Kiddin' Around and it's all 2-year-olds with varying developmental delays or need for early intervention. I call it pre-preschool since it's getting ready for the next level that she starts when she turns 3. I dropped her off about an hour ago. She seemed excited, and she didn't seem to be the least bit worried about where I was or was going, so I stayed for a few minutes while the other kids arrived and then left. Seemed a little weird, but I'm sure she'll love it. It's one morning a week for 2 hours, so that's not bad.


This was my attempt at a picture of her first school day outfit. Forgot to turn off Sesame Street though. Check out that snazzy shirt, Amy/Jen! :o)

(Just for an interesting perspective on this kid's weird sizing issues... She's 25 months old. That's a 9 month shirt, 24 month "skinny" jeans with the adjustable waist cinched to the max, and size 3 shoes that are still PLENTY big. Oh, and underneath is a 9 month onesie. She could wear 9-12 month jeans since they fit around her waist but they're too short. These are a little long still, but better than short in the winter. Eventually she'll even out...maybe.)

When she got to her room, we were the first ones there. She liked the little chairs and one of the aides brought her a toy. Anything that she can make noise with is a winner. She kept hitting the orange key...that's my color coordinated girl!


I'll go get her in another hour. I'm sure she'll be happy to tell you all about it soon. We missed Jack, since he didn't get to go today. She'll love it even more when he's there too, I'm sure.

No comments: